On March 15th, 2016, Superintendent Merrill presented his 2016-17 operating budget to the school board at their regular meeting. The budget is available online for the public to review. The budget includes a request for a $35.7 million increase in local funding from the county commissioners. Over three-fourths of that request is driven by enrollment growth, prior commitments and changes in state legislation.
The public is invited to comment on the proposed budget at a public hearing on April 5th, 2016 at 5:30pm. The hearing will take place at WCPSS central office, located at Crossroads I, 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary. Get details about speaking at the hearing here.
The school board will spend the month of April reviewing the budget and could make changes before adopting it in May 2016. Once the school board approves the budget in May, it will then be presented to the county commissioners. See details below on the timeline, under “What’s the Budget Cycle?”
- Link to the Superintendent’s message on the budget
- Link to Superintendent proposed 2016-17 operating budget presentation
- Link to the full proposed 2016-17 budget document
Impact of the State Budget
…This page is currently being updated. Please check back for details on the impact to WCPSS from the 2015-17 state budget.
What’s the Budget Cycle?
- The Superintendent shall prepare an annual budget and submit it with a budget message to the Board of Education (BOE) not later than April 15.
- The BOE shall hold at least one public hearing on the proposed budget prior to final action.
- The BOE must submit the entire approved budget to the Board of Commissioners (BOC) not later than May 15 (or such later date as may be fixed by the BOC. The BOC shall complete action on the school budget on or before July 1, or such later date as may be agreeable to the BOE.
- If adoption of the budget is delayed until after July 1, the Board shall make interim appropriations for the purpose of paying salaries and the usual ordinary expenses of the school system for the interval between the beginning of the fiscal year and the adoption of the budget resolution.
What You Can Do to Advocate for Funding in Future Years
- Be informed! Review the various proposed budgets from both the Wake Commissioners and the School Board.
- Speak up at Board of Education meetings and public hearings
- Attend a Board of Commissioners budget presentation, participate in a public hearing