On June 15, 2015, the Wake County Commissioners adopted the FY 2016 County Budget. The Commissioners boldly approved a $44.6 million increase to the Wake County School System. This is the largest increase to the school system by the county in a single year. While the school board originally requested a $48.3 million increase, the gap between the request and the amount funded was not considered significant according to WCPSS Chief Operating Officer, David Neter.
At the School Board’s June 16, 2015 Work Session, WCPSS Chief Operating Officer David Neter provided an update on the 2015-16 state budget proposals (Governor’s, Senate, House) under consideration at that time, along with an update on the Wake County approved 2015-16 budget. Before July 1, 2015, the beginning of the new fiscal year, the Board was required to adopt an interim budget. The interim budget allows operations to continue without any changes from current operations. Once the state budget was approved, a 2015-16 budget could be finalized. The School Board unanimously approved the proposed interim budget at the Board meeting that followed the work session.
On September 16, 2015, Governor McCrory signed the 2015-17 state budget. Chief Operating Officer David Neter provided a budget update to the school board at their October 6, 2015 work session. The school board adopted their final 2015-16 budget later that evening at their regular meeting.
- Link to the school system’s final 2015-16 budget
- Link to Mr. Neter’s presentation to the school board at Oct. 6th work session
- Link to new salary schedules, including teacher pay increases
Impact of the State Budget
…This page is currently being updated. Please check back for details on the impact to WCPSS from the 2015-17 state budget.
What’s the Budget Cycle?
- The Superintendent shall prepare an annual budget and submit it with a budget message to the Board of Education (BOE) not later than April 15.
- The BOE shall hold at least one public hearing on the proposed budget prior to final action.
- The BOE must submit the entire approved budget to the Board of Commissioners (BOC) not later than May 15 (or such later date as may be fixed by the BOC. The BOC shall complete action on the school budget on or before July 1, or such later date as may be agreeable to the BOE.
- If adoption of the budget is delayed until after July 1, the Board shall make interim appropriations for the purpose of paying salaries and the usual ordinary expenses of the school system for the interval between the beginning of the fiscal year and the adoption of the budget resolution.
What You Can Do to Advocate for Funding in Future Years
- Be informed! Review the various proposed budgets from both the Wake Commissioners and the School Board.
- Speak up at Board of Education meetings and public hearings
- Attend a Board of Commissioners budget presentation, participate in a public hearing