On March 15th, 2016, Superintendent Merrill presented his 2016-17 operating budget to the school board at their regular meeting. The budget is available online for the public to review. The budget includes a request for a $35.7 million increase in local funding from the county commissioners. Over three-fourths of that request is driven by enrollment growth, prior commitments and changes in state legislation.
A public hearing on the proposed budget was held on April 5th. The board reviewed and discussed details of the budget at two work sessions in April. You can review questions and answers on the budget between board members and staff here. (Look for the “Budget Materials” box on the right side of the page.)
On May 3rd, 2016, the school board approved the Superintendent’s budget proposal and passed it on to the Wake County Manager, Jim Hartmann. On May 16th, 2016, Mr. Hartmann presented his budget proposal to the commissioners. That budget includes a $23.9 million increase for schools, about two-thirds of what the school system requested. Commissioners can choose to increase (or decrease) this amount. Citizens are encouraged to offer feedback to the commissioners online or at two public comment periods, both on June 6th: 2pm & 7pm. If the school system’s request is not fully funded, they will have to cut new programs and initiatives.
See details below on the timeline, under “What’s the Budget Cycle?”
- Link to the Superintendent’s message on the budget
- Link to Superintendent proposed 2016-17 operating budget presentation
- Link to the full proposed Board of Education 2016-17 budget document
- Link to the County Manager’s message on the budget
- Link to Jim Hartmann’s FY2017 budget presentation
- Link to the full proposed Wake County FY2017 budget
Impact of the State Budget
…This page is currently being updated. Please check back for details on the impact to WCPSS from the 2015-17 state budget.
What’s the Budget Cycle?
- The Superintendent shall prepare an annual budget and submit it with a budget message to the Board of Education (BOE) not later than April 15.
- The BOE shall hold at least one public hearing on the proposed budget prior to final action.
- The BOE must submit the entire approved budget to the Board of Commissioners (BOC) not later than May 15 (or such later date as may be fixed by the BOC. The BOC shall complete action on the school budget on or before July 1, or such later date as may be agreeable to the BOE.
- If adoption of the budget is delayed until after July 1, the Board shall make interim appropriations for the purpose of paying salaries and the usual ordinary expenses of the school system for the interval between the beginning of the fiscal year and the adoption of the budget resolution.
What You Can Do to Advocate for Funding in Future Years
- Be informed! Review the various proposed budgets from both the Wake Commissioners and the School Board.
- Speak up at Board of Education meetings and public hearings
- Attend a Board of Commissioners budget presentation, participate in a public hearing