With the state budget now complete, WCPSS faces a $17.5 million funding gap. On July 19th, 2016, school system staff presented recommendations for cuts to the school budget in order to fill that gap. County Commissioners approved their FY 2017 budget including about two-thirds of what the school system requested in local funding. Seventy-five percent of the school system request was to accommodate student growth.
Multiple citizens and groups called on commissioners to fully fund the school system request. Most speakers at a June public hearing asked for more funding. Wake NCAE, Wake PTA Council and Wake Ed Partnership all asked for full funding of the WCPSS request.
FY 2017 Budget Timeline:
- March 15th, 2016- Superintendent Merrill presented his 2016-17 operating budget to the school board at their regular meeting.
- April 5th, 2016- The school Board held a public hearing on the proposed budget.
- May 3rd, 2016- School board approved the Superintendent’s budget proposal and passed it on to the Wake County Manager, Jim Hartmann.
- May 16th, 2016- County Manager presented his budget proposal to the commissioners.
- June 6th, 2016- Commissioners held two public hearings on the budget; 2pm & 7pm.
- June 20th, 2016- Commissioners approved their FY 2017 budget, including County Manager’s appropriation for schools.
- July 14th, 2016- Governor McCrory signed state budget bill
- Link to the Superintendent’s message on the budget
- Link to Superintendent proposed 2016-17 operating budget presentation
- Link to the full proposed Board of Education 2016-17 budget document
- Link to the County Manager’s message on the budget
- Link to Jim Hartmann’s FY2017 budget presentation
- Link to the full adopted Wake County FY2017 budget
- Link to analysis of the 2016-17 state budget
- Link to the 2016-17 state budget bill
Impact of the State Budget
This page is currently being updated. Please check back for details on the impact to WCPSS from the 2015-17 state budget.
What’s the Budget Cycle?
- The Superintendent shall prepare an annual budget and submit it with a budget message to the Board of Education (BOE) not later than April 15.
- The BOE shall hold at least one public hearing on the proposed budget prior to final action.
- The BOE must submit the entire approved budget to the Board of Commissioners (BOC) not later than May 15 (or such later date as may be fixed by the BOC.) The BOC shall complete action on the school budget on or before July 1, or such later date as may be agreeable to the BOE.
- If adoption of the budget is delayed until after July 1, the Board shall make interim appropriations for the purpose of paying salaries and the usual ordinary expenses of the school system for the interval between the beginning of the fiscal year and the adoption of the budget resolution.
What You Can Do to Advocate for Funding in Future Years
- Be informed! Review the various proposed budgets from both the Wake Commissioners and the School Board.
- Speak up at Board of Education meetings and public hearings
- Attend a Board of Commissioners budget presentation, participate in a public hearing