Critical Assignment Information
We strongly urge that families visit the WCPSS Web site to review information about 2013-14 assignment, including upcoming critical dates.
- All families (1,159) who requested that their children be assigned to their base schools were granted their requests. More than 1,000 of these requests include bus transportation.
- The Magnet and Application School period has ended. Those participating received notification on February 8th.
- Families may pre-enroll their rising kindergartners at their assigned base school.
- Information is also available for newcomers to WCPSS.
- The First Transfer Application Period, which ran from February 18 – March 1, is now closed. During this time, families who wished to request a transfer to their calendar application school (with transportation) or to any other school (without transportation) could apply to do so. The First Transfer Application Period was the time for families who wanted their rising middle or high school age student to continue on to attend their (choice plan) feeder pattern school to submit an application. Results have now been shared with applicants.
- Official notices of 2013-14 school assignments will be distributed on May 1.
- A Final Transfer Request Period will run from May 1 – 15. Families that want to request an assignment change based on individual circumstances may submit a request during this application period. This is a paper application process. Families can give reasons for their request specific to their student or family circumstances. The 2013-14 paper transfer application will be available May 1 on the district website. A printed completed application must be submitted by mail or in person to the Student Assignment Office. Transfer requests denied by staff during this application period may be appealed to the Board of Education.
Get Smart About the New Plan
Great Schools in Wake is pleased that the Wake School Board has approved a new address-based assignment plan for the 2013-14 school year.
GSIW is gratified that many of the elements in the 2013-14 assignment plan proposal include several suggestions made in our April, 2012 Let’s Find a Better Way position paper. Many of these suggestions were based on the thousands of concerns and suggestions we received from community members.
Among the positive elements of the new plan:
- Reestablishing address-based assignments that offer families the assurance of a guaranteed school assignment with an option for choice at all grade levels,
- Providing stability for grade spans so that once children start at a school, they stay at that school, unless a family opts to apply for another assignment
- The ability for families to enroll their children at their base school, thereby ending the requirement to travel to Cary to enroll at the central office
- The opportunity for students to “grandfather” at their current schools (with their current level of transportation) if they wish
- Priority for siblings of students already attending a school
- Options for choice: magnet, application, year-round and traditional calendar schools
Beginning December 12, 2012, any student who enrolls in WCPSS or moves to a new address within Wake County will be assigned to a base school based on his or her home address.
GSIW Weighs in on Initial Assignment Proposal
On September 18, 2012, WCPSS staff presented an initial proposal for 2013-14 assignment. GSIW members created a summary of our feedback. We simplified confusing language, raised some concerns and provided specific examples.